Play therapy makes a difference. Play is an enjoyable, fun activity that elevates our spirits and brightens our outlook on life. Play relieves feelings of stress and boredom and, most importantly, helps us express ourselves.
What is Play Therapy?
Play therapy refers to a large number of treatment methods, all applying the therapeutic benefits of play. Play therapy helps children to address and resolve their own problems and builds on the natural way that children learn about themselves and their relationships in the world around them.
The Association for Play Therapy (APT) defines play therapy as the “systematic use of a theoretical model to establish an interpersonal process wherein trained play therapists use the therapeutic powers of play to help clients prevent or resolve psychosocial difficulties and achieve optimal growth and development.”
Sand Tray Play Therapy
Sand tray play is a powerful and effective intervention tool for children, teens, adults, and families in a variety of therapeutic settings. Sand tray play utilizes a wide range of miniature figurines with which clients “build a world” in a tray of sand. With the support and witness of a sand tray therapist, this process of story telling through images promotes a deepened expression, experience, and understanding of the client’s inner world, and thus provides the opportunity for healing on a variety of levels. Specialized training is essential for effectively using sand tray play as a therapeutic tool.
What does Play Therapy help?
Play therapy helps children:
- Become more responsible for their behaviors and develop more successful strategies
- Develop new and creative solutions to problems
- Develop respect and acceptance of self and others
- Learn to experience and express emotion
- Cultivate empathy and respect for thoughts and feelings of others
- Learn new social skills and relational skills with family
- Develop self-efficacy and a better assuredness about their abilities
Play therapy aims to help a child’s growth and development. The practice of play therapy requires extensive, specialized education, training and experience. With my knowledge and background, I am confident that you and I can set your child up for success.
Benefits of Sand Tray Therapy
Sand tray therapy is a safe and non-threatening way to promote emotional regulation, increase and build self-esteem, manage feelings, and improve communication for children, adolescence, and adults.
- Internalized coping skills are developed.
- Child/Adult can begin to recognize the relationship between the creation in the sand and their own inner world.
- Sand tray therapy facilitates a deeper exploration of self.
- Creates a safe space to process trauma thus gaining a sense of security
If you’re interested in learning more about play therapy and how it can help your child grow, contact me today for a free consultation.